How did we get involved in green energy management & electricity brokerage?
After our Founder helped Green Mountain Energy revitalize its Multifamily Apartment Community Channel in Houston in 2006, Momentum Bay® began brokering Texas green power in 2007 as GREEN POWER 4 TEXAS in order to protect our consulting firm's clients pursuing green building & corporate sustainability.
Since 2007, Momentum Bay's GREEN POWER 4 TEXAS business unit has become Texas' only energy procurement & full-service Texas energy management advisor focused on sustainability -- green energy, renewable energy, green power.
In 2010, the firm evolved beyond consulting to practicing as a distributor-dealer, general contractor-EPC-installer, & developer of behind-the-meter & utility-scale solar PV & wind turbine power generation systems, as well as related renewable energy products, including solar powered attic fans. Solar & wind make business sense with their plummeting prices, rapidly evolving power & efficiencies, low maintenance requirements, ability to manage fuel/economic/other risks, attractive paybacks (when procured wisely) with system lifespans of 20 to 35 years -- possibly even 50+ years.
As of 2012, GREEN POWER 4 TEXAS offers the following offsite, onsite, mobile & managed energy-related services:
- Energy strategy
- Energy demand management
- Energy supply / procurement management
- Energy monitoring
- Energy messaging (marketing & communications)
- TexasRECBroker.com BEST SELLER! - Renewable Energy Credits (green certifiable & certified RECs)
- TexasElectricityBroker.com & TexasElectricityAggregator.com BEST SELLERS! - Brokered & aggregated utility green electricity negotiated with Texas Retail Electric Providers (REPs)
- GreenPowerMarketer.com HOT! - Wholesale "new renewable" directly from wind farms, solar, biomass, biogas, geothermal & other Texas green power generators sold as "sleeved" purchases through REPs to large commercial & industrial Texas electricity customers (i.e., our firm secures Green Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) as Seller's Representatives for green power generators)
- TexasWindDeveloper.com NEW! - Vertical axis wind turbines (VAWTs) & horizontal axis wind turbines (HAWTs) (Options: new, or decommissioned-reburbished)
- TexasSolarAtticFans.com HOT!: Distributor-Dealer-Installer of solar powered attic ventilation systems
- TexasSolarDeveloper.com NEW! - Solar photovoltaic (PV) systems up to 10 megawatts (Options: ground-mounted solar or roof-mounted solar; grid-tied solar or off-grid solar; own / lease / lease-to-own; multicrystalline solar PV, monocrystalline solar PV, thin film solar or concentrating solar; domestic / European / Chinese solar panels)
- Plug-inTexas.com HOT! - Battery conversion upgrade kits for Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs) & Electric Vehicles (EVs)
Distributor-Dealer of Urban Green Energy's Vertical Axis Wind Turbines
at Town of Addison's Net Zero Electricity
Elevated Water Tower built by Landmark Structures
PLUS 30% Federal tax credits set to expire 12/31/13 (Residential) & 12/31/16 (Commercial)
upgraded to Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles
with A123Systems' Hymotion battery kit
at 20%+ discount
>> What is your organization's energy strategy short-term (five-year), & long-term (10, 20, 30, 50 & 100-year)?
Energy Observations, Insights & Opportunities
- Electricity procurement is buildings' largest operating expense, & often leaders' greatest discomforts (second only to dental visits & car shopping).
- Since 2007, electricity, natural gas & green power prices have been out of control, swinging 10% in a day, 30%+ in a week, even reaching all-time highs & 10-year lows. Attentive professional advisors can add substantially to clients' profits.
- Our clients had been consistently receiving less than transparent & fair pricing from other electricity brokers (no professional certification, credentialing or licensure required in Texas) & Retail Electric Providers, the vast majority of which were unfamiliar with green power & not yet pursuing corporate sustainability.
- Some municipal-owned utilities in Central Texas & some Retail Electric Providers (REPs) still charge $8 to $38 for a Renewable Energy Credit or green electricity (i.e., $0.008 to $0.038 per kilowatt-hour) even though the market price is at or below $1 / REC or $0.001 / kWh. (We have enjoyed helping clients secure fair prices & value, not paying 8 to 38 times more than they should in pursuit of corporate sustainability, high-performance green building & carbon neutrality.)
- Although energy represents only 0.7% of a building's 30-year life cycle costs (human costs are 83-92% of 30-year costs), energy accounts for 60-90% of a conventional building's & business' potentially regulated carbon emissions.
- By 2013-2016, commercial & industrial electricity customers with behind-the-meter onsite renewable energy (solar photovoltaic systems, wind turbines, biomass biolers & biofuel generators, etc.) may effectively put conventional electricity brokers out of business. With grid parity a reality by then, companies will be making their own electricity - by installing solar panel systems, generating electricity at peak daytime prices, & interconnecting to the electricity grid (i.e, net metering so that they essentially eliminate electricity bills). At an all-in cost of $0.11 / kWh (i.e., energy + transmission & distribution charges + taxes), solar's payback can be less than 10 years ... and provide 20+ more years of electricity essentially for free.